Abandoned Shale Mines

An undated Gifford Eardley sketch from The Shale Railways of NSW (above), and recent photo of the same ruin.

From about 1896 the New South Wales Shale Oil Company developed mines in the Genowlan Creek area, along talus slopes to the north of Airly. Shale won here was conveyed by cable haulage across Airly Mountain to the company's new oil retorts at Torbane. Today several mine entrances are still evident, as are other relics such as this chimney.

Ref: Brian Ayling & Australian Railway Historical Society NSW Division

No comments:

Post a Comment