This site was established by Wal Pilz (1927-2016) to share historical information depicted in photos and images of old scenes of the Rylstone District. Wal's belief was that sharing history was the best way to create a living history for Rylstone and the surrounding district. In Wal's memory, the site will continue to operate as an online database and you are invited to contribute images and information. Please comment or email Dan Hatton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Photo: Bylong Valley - Centenary of Education 1884-1984
William Lee was the first to take up land in Upper Bylong, plus 2,000 acres
bordered by Dry Creek and what is now known as Bylong Creek. Later he took up
some holdings in the area of Coggan and Murrumbo. The development of these
areas was left to William Lee's sons, while he went on to become a political leader.
The Lee's bred stud shorthorn cattle and thoroughbred horses which became a
household word in colonial Australia.
George Windeyer Traill, great-grandson of William Lee and last member of the
Lee family in Bylong, died in 1948.
Ref: Bylong Valley - Centenary of Education 1884-1984