Tyldesley - the village that disappeared

Pictured is water bailer, Harry McAlpine, colliery engineer, James Wilson and the colliery dog Rex at Tyldesley in the early 1950s. Harry and his wife Annie also ran the post office and general store at Tyldesley.

Between 1888 and 1960 the area around Cullen Bullen hosted six underground coal mines, including Tyldesley Colliery which ceased operation in 1960. The village was largely abandoned by the mid 1960s and has all but disappeared from the landscape.
Ref: HERITAGE - Newsletter of BMACHO, Nov-Dec 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment